Students must complete this course prior to entering the module. Students may be concurrently enrolled (or have immediate plans for enrollment) in this course when applying for admission to the module.
- COMM ST 227: Communication and Technology
Students must take any 3 of the following courses, of which at least 2 must be in Communication Studies:
- COMM ST 255: Understanding Media Markets: Users, Makers, and Metrics
- COMM ST 351: Technology and Human Interaction
- COMM ST 352: Social Network Analysis
- COMM ST 353: Collaboration Technology
- COMM ST 355: Audience Analysis
- COMM ST 375: Sociology of Online News
- COMM ST 378: Online Communities and Crowds: Organization, Innovation, and Mobilization
- COMM ST 398: Understanding Digital Media: Practicum in Qualitative Methods
- COMM ST 398: Assistive Communication Design
These courses may also be counted toward the 3 required for the module, but are not Communication Studies Courses:
- DSGN 305: Human-Centered Service Design
- EECS 330: Human Computer Interaction
- EECS 348: Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
- JOUR 376: Media Design
- SESP 351 Topics: Digital Design for Social Change
Detailed course descriptions can be found on the registrar’s website: http://www.northwestern.edu/class-descriptions/
Appropriate substitutions may be approved by the module coordinator. Students seeking approval of a substitution should submit a request via email including a rationale for the substitution. Students are encouraged to get approval in advance of completing a course, as having completed the course already will not be a factor in substitution decisions.
Other courses may be added to the roster (often as COMM ST 395 seminars); consult with the module coordinator for more information or to suggest possible additions.